Wednesday 11 August 2010

"priscilla"

I can't remember the first time my dad called me this, or the last.  I do remember the way it made me feel though ... special.  'priscilla' was one of his pet names for me and it was only ever used lovingly or when he was teasing me.

As a kid whenever I was in trouble it was always "ELIZABETH!" and I didn't like the way that made me feel ... such a disappointment.  Maybe that has something to do with my abbreviating my name to 'Liz' at the earliest opportunity?

No-one had my back like dad ... a man who knew right from wrong but who also had room to accommodate the grey areas and an understanding of the mitigating circumstances that led people into them (otherwise known as 'life').  He had the biggest, kindest heart and exercised it on a regular basis for his family, friends and neighbours.  If I can make one person in my life feel as special as he did me, then I'll count myself a success.

I'm not religious (I'm positively anti-organised religion) but I am hopeful that there is something else, something more; although like dad I'm a bit too pragmatic to really believe.

I miss talking to him, about anything and everything, so when I was thinking of starting this blog and struggling to come up with a name I thought about this and decided on 'daily dose of priscilla'.  Fingers crossed the www is more far-reaching than we could ever have imagined.

'til tomorrow!

p

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely and touching post, Liz.

    Welcome to the blogosphere, from a lapsed member...

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it coming mrs d - diane x

    ReplyDelete